It's love that makes the world go round!
- For duty, duty must be done;
- The rule applies to everyone.
If a man can't forge his own will, whose will can he forge?
I see no objection to stoutness, in moderation.
- Is life a boon?
- If so, it must befall
- That Death, whene'er he call,
- Must call too soon.
W.S. GILBERT, The Yeomen of the Guard
Man is Nature's sole mistake.
W.S. GILBERT, Princess Ida
Life is a joke that's just begun.
- When every blessed thing you hold
- Is made of silver, or of gold,
- You long for simple pewter.
W.S. GILBERT, The Gondoliers
Faint heart never won fair lady!
Oh! to be wafted away
From this black Aceldama of sorrow,
Where the dust of an earthy to-day,
Makes the earth of a dusty to-morrow.
W. S. GILBERT, "Heart-Foam", Patience
I'm really very sorry for you all, but it's an unjust world, and virtue is triumphant only in theatrical performances.
W. S. GILBERT, The Mikado
As innocent as a new-laid egg.
W. S. GILBERT, Engaged
All bayonets are bad.
I accept refreshment at any hands, however lowly.
- Things are seldom what they seem,
- Skim milk masquerades as cream.
W.S. GILBERT, H.M.S. Pinafore