Never invest your money in anything that eats or needs repainting.
BILLY ROSE, New York Post, Oct. 26, 1957
It's hard for a fellow to keep a chip on his shoulder if you allow him to take a bow.
BILLY ROSE, attributed, There's No Such Thing as Business Ethics
- With the parting of the ways
- You took all my happy days
- And left me lonely nights.
- Morning never comes too soon
- I can face the afternoon
- But oh, those lonely nights,
- I feel your arms around me,
- Your kisses linger yet,
- You taught me how to love you,
- Now teach me to forget!
BILLY ROSE, "Happy Days and Lonely Nights"
- Without a song the day would never end
- Without a song the road would never bend
- When things go wrong a man ain't got a friend
- Without a song
BILLY ROSE, "Without a Song"
- I wanna be loved with inspiration
- I wanna be loved starting tonight
- Instead of merely holding conversation
- Hold me tight
BILLY ROSE, "I Wanna Be Loved"
- It's a barnum and bailey world,
- Just as phony as it can be,
- But it wouldn't be make believe
- If you believed in me.
BILLY ROSE, "It's Only a Paper Moon"
- She was selling china, and when she made those eyes
- I kept buying china until the crowd got wise, incidently
- If you should run into a shower just step inside my cottage door
- And meet the million dollar baby from the five and ten cent store
BILLY ROSE, "I Found a Million Dollar Baby"
- Way down by the stream
- How sweet it will seem
- Once more just to dream in
- The moonlight
- My honey I know
- With the dawn
- That you will be gone
- But tonight
- You belong to me
BILLY ROSE, "Tonight You Belong to Me"
- Me and my shadow
- Strolling down the avenue
- Oh, me and my shadow
- Not a soul to tell our troubles to
- And when it's twelve o'clock we climb the stairs
- We never knock 'cause nobody's there
- Just me and my shadow
- All alone and feeling blue
BILLY ROSE, "Me and My Shadow"