- A couch of thorns, or an embroidered bed,
- Are matters of indifference to the dead.
THEOGNIS OF MEGARA, "Sumptuous Obsequies"
- Rash, angry words, and spoken out of season,
- When passion has usurp'd the throne of reason,
- Have ruin'd many. Passion is unjust,
- And for an idle, transitory gust
- Of gratified revenge, dooms us to pay
- With long repentence at a later day.
THEOGNIS OF MEGARA, Fragment XXXIX
- Fairly examined, truly understood,
- No man is wholly bad, nor wholly good.
THEOGNIS OF MEGARA, Fragment XLI